Mexican Red Rice Recipe – Arroz Rojo
Red Rice – Mexican Rice
Red Rice is a staple in Mexican homes, a comfort food for many Mexicans and something you accompany many of the typical Mexican dishes such as Mole con Pollo, Picadillo or Chicken Tacos. Make some rice tacos with Las Tortillas sold in your local CO-OP or It can also served with a fried egg or two on top as an easy meal!
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 4 small tomatoes or 8 roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 tsp Herbamere seasoning ((or a range of salt spices))
- 6 cups Water
Blend the tomatoes, onion, parsley, chicken stock, Herbamere, and water. The blend should add up to 8 cups. 2. Fry the rice with oil in a large pot. Be sure to watch the rice because it fries quickly (fry until golden).
- Add the tomato blend and let simmer under low heat, covering the pot.
Continue to check on the rice and keep mixing it. If the rice continues to be very hard and there is almost no liquid left, add an extra 1/2 cup of water (repeat if needed).
- Once it looks like the rice is nearly done, turn off the stove and cover the rice with a clean cloth, covering and letting it sit for 1/2 hour. Come back to it and mix it- it should now be spongy and fully cooked.
A. Make sure to use long grain white rice and not pre-cooked rice, which will change the consistency. B. Be wise about adding any water. If the rice is nearly done, hold off on adding any water or just add a few table spoons. You don’t want to end up with soupy rice… C. These are all approximate measurements. Feel free to play around with the recipe for your needs. Just watch the salt.