Recoleccion de Basura – Garbage, Recycling, Composting – Pickup Schedule
City of Calgary, Garbage, Recycling and Composting Guide
The residents of the city of Calgary or Edmonton, who are originally from a Latin American country or Spain, are not very used to recycling and to separate garbage or household waste in the three garbage dumps that the city of Calgary has given us. That’s why and to clear any doubt, here is a list of products that we use daily with the indication on whether you can recycle or not and where to put it.
What do the numbers that appear below each plastic bottle or plastic packaging mean?
Each number identifies a type of plastic and its use, can be useful when deciding what color of trash that material, plastic containers, bottles or utensils. The numbers go from “1” to “7” and this is what they mean:
1. (PET) – Polyethylene terephthalate (used in beverage bottles and food containers such as jelly).
2. (HDPE) – High density polyethylene (used in detergent containers).
3. (V) – Polyvinyl chloride (used in cutlery and other plastic utensils).
4.(LDPE) – Low density polyethylene (used in plastic wrap and supermarket bags).
5. (PP) – Polypropylene (used in bottle caps and straws).
6. (PS) – Polystyrene (used in packaging materials).
7. Others (when it is a product of the mixture of several types of plastic).
Finally look for the product in this table of “City of Calgary” where you can find without doubt in which dumpster or “Bin” put everything and start doing our work of recycling to 100%
Any questions you have or if you lost your garbage cans please follow the link to City of Calgary (Garbage Collection and Recycling) frequently asked recycling questions.
As an interesting note we warn you that when you sell a house, you should not take the boats, because they belong to the house or apartment that is being sold. To know what day the garbage is collected in your community follow this link: Garbage, recycling and composting pickup schedule