Calgary Events & Things To Do
- This event has passed.
Glenmore Water Treatment Plant Tour – May 2019
May 11, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
River to Tap:
A public tour of Calgary’s Water Treatment Plant
- Date: Saturday, May 11th 2019
- Time: 10-12 p.m. AND 1-3 p.m.
- Cost: Free
- Participant numbers: 30 people in each tour time, 10+ years minimum
- Location: Glenmore Water Treatment Plant, 1668 – 56 Ave SW
Follow the treatment path that water takes from the Elbow River/Glenmore Reservoir to the taps in your home. In this rare glimpse inside the historic Glenmore Water Treatment Plant, City of Calgary Water Services staff will highlight how some of the cleanest river water in the world is treated to become safe drinking water.
Learn about our pre-treatment technology that allowed us to continue to produce high quality drinking water during the floods of 2013. This experience will showcase why we should all value Calgary’s most precious resource and will explore ways you can help to protect and preserve our rivers through actions in your own home.
Important Safety Information
- All adult participants will be required to fill out an Applicant Information Form, sign a Waiver of Liability and provide valid photo ID upon arrival for the tour.
- Legal guardians of underage participants will be required to complete an Informed Consent Form upon arrival for the tour.
- Minimum age is 10 years old and children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Unaccompanied minors will not be permitted access.
- The Glenmore Water Treatment Facility is not wheelchair or stroller accessible.
- Tours involve walking outdoors on uneven terrain and throughout an industrial facility. For safety reasons, you are required to wear comfortable flat, closed toe walking shoes such as runners or hiking boots (ballet flats or other shoes with exposed skin will not be allowed). Long pants are also required. Shorts, capris and skirts are not appropriate. Participation in the tour will be denied if these requirements are not met.
- All purses, backpacks and other bags are not permitted on the tour route.
- No cellphones, cameras or pictures are permitted on the tour.
- This is a fully operational plant and as such the tour may need to be cancelled due to emergency or other unforeseeable circumstance.
If you register but are unable to attend this workshop, please give us at least 72 hours (3 days) notice so that we can open your spot to someone else. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and consideration.