- This event has passed.
Hispanic Heritage Month 2020
October 29 at 2:00 pm - 4:15 pm MDT
Join Hola OPS for Aquí estamos (here we are): Celebrating the OPS Latino talent pool ― a virtual event to honour Latin American and Spanish-speaking culture, our history and roots as we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. Come learn some español, test your trivia skills and get your groove on with a Latin dance lesson.
About this Event
This event is an opportunity for you to learn about our rich cultural traditions, language and history, the formidable talent pool Latinos represent and our contributions to the Ontario Public Service and beyond.
The event will feature:
- A lightning Spanish lesson to give you survival words and phrases and help you discover the joy of the Spanish language.
- A trivia session that will test your knowledge of Latin American culture.
- A panel discussion uplifting the stories of Latinos whose outstanding work is contributing to diversifying the talent pipeline in the OPS. This will be a candid, in-depth conversation with leaders about their first-hand experiences in the public sector as they share their perspectives on racial equity, who we are and our contributions, and how we can help advance the careers of Latino professionals to build a more inclusive organization for all.
- And last but not least, a virtual dance lesson! Join Melanie James and get ready to show your moves to the sound of Latin rhythms.
- Max Gomez, Detective Constable with the Ontario Provincial Police
- Agatha Garcia-Wright, Assistant Deputy Minister with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services and Hola OPS executive sponsor
- Nosa Ero-Brown, Assistant Deputy Minister, Anti-Racism Directorate
- Andrea Fernandez, Inclusive Diversity Office (moderator)
- Secretary of the Cabinet Steven Davidson
- Deputy Minister Hillary Hartley, Hola OPS executive sponsor
- Deputy Minister Greg Orencsak, Hola OPS executive sponsor
- Chief Talent Officer Brian Fior
- Sean Twyford, Assistant Deputy Minister, People Strategy and Organizational Performance
- Elvalyn Brown, Chair, BOPSers
- Lareina Rising, Chair, Nation to Nation employee network
- Melinda Maldonado, Chair, Hola OPS
This event will be delivered via Zoom. If you require accommodation, please email [email protected] by Oct. 15, 2020.
All are welcome and we look forward to welcoming you at our Hispanic Heritage Month event. Nos vemos (see you soon), virtually.
IMPORTANT: This is an internal event for OPS employees only. Please ensure to register with your Ontario government email address.
Date and time: Oct. 29, 2020 from 4:00 – 6:15 p.m.
Location: Virtual – link will be sent to all registrants prior to the event.
COVID-19 Alert Event information may be out of date due to the coronavirus (COVID-19). Please confirm details with the event organisers.